Each year, the Mount Gilead Public Library launches a summer program series for all ages that promotes the joy and value of reading. This summer, programs for children, teens and adults are planned in conjunction with “Tales and Tails,” the 2021 Collaborative Summer Library Program.
The focus remains on literacy and helping students and learners of all ages.
"We are very much looking forward to having in person programming this summer,” says library director Melissa Kipp. “The staff has created new exciting programs for children, teen and adult summer reading. We can't wait to see all of our patrons after this very long year."
Summer reading participants are organized by age bracket: birth to preschoolers, elementary school students; teens and adults. Each reader tracks their hours and the total qualifies them to win prizes within their bracket. Registration is now open.
All children can earn prizes. Readers can come in once they read a certain number of books or minutes to spin the prize wheel. Each child who is present to spin the wheel for themselves will also be entered in to our grand prize drawing for a family 4-pack of passes to The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s outdoor adventure The Wilds.
Teen readers will get a scratch-off ticket each time they visit the library and check out a book. (Limit of one scratch-off per person, per day). Scratch-off prizes will be things like ear buds and gift cards. Non-winning tickets will be entered into a drawing for a Grand Prize to be drawn on August 2nd.
Who says the kids get to have all the fun at the library this summer?! Adults will have their own Summer Reading Program starting Monday June 14th and ending July 31st. Anyone 18 and older is welcome to stop by the library to grab a bingo card. Check out some books, read them, and get a bingo to collect your prize - a Mount Gilead Public Library mug designed by staff member Marty. One mug per adult but each bingo card you complete and return to the library will be an entry for the grand prize--a basket full of local items. The grand prize winner will be selected from the bingo card entries returned to the library on or before July 31st.
All Day (10:30 AM until 7:00 PM) - Drop in any time to do a themed craft and complete an ExSTREAM Challenge. During “Tails” you can also read to a special LIVE animal.
11 AM - Tiny Tots Story Hour
3 PM – Green Gnome Garden Club
5:30 - 7 PM – Roblox Game Night (Registration Required)
10:45 AM - Preschool Story Hour
3:00 PM - LEGO® Club
FREE Family Friendly Movies at the Capitol Theatre
Showings at: 11 AM and 2 PM
(Refreshments available for purchase.)
11-12 AM - Kids Yoga or Zumba®
- Follow our Story Book Trail at its new location on Cherry Street at the Green Playground. Stories will be changed out each Sunday during each of the three-week sessions. See the Library Calendar for each selection.
- Stop by the library to turn in your reading logs for a chance to spin the prize wheel. Each child who comes in to spin the wheel will be entered into the Grand Prize of a Family 4-Pack of tickets to The Wilds.
Other important dates:
- On June 29th at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm. The library will be hosting a Princess Event. Stop by the library's annex space to join staff member Jillian and some of her special princess friends who will read stories to our little princes and princesses (that's you!). After the stories, there will be a photo booth to take pictures with the princesses. Feel free to attend this event in your favorite prince or princess attire. Recommended for grade 5 and under. Activities done at the 11:00 AM time will be repeated at the 1:00 PM time.
- June 29th Anime Club (last Thursday of each month)
- July 3rd - Library Closed for Independence Day
- August 14th - Summer Reading Program Completion Celebration with the Ironwood Wolves at the Library Annex.