Children's Library Aide
The Mount Gilead Public Library is currently accepting applications for the part-time position of Children’s Library Aide. This position is to implement programming and services for children under the direction of the Library Director, and to assist patrons (both children and adults) find the materials they need. This position also helps patrons at the circulation and service desks and performs routine library services. The Aide will work an average of 21 hours/week and should have previous experience with children.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities: The list is not intended to be all-inclusive nor exclusive, but is intended to provide examples of typical duties performed.
- Mainly assists at the Children’s Service Desk: Helps patrons (children and caregivers) in the use of public access catalog, library computer systems, and multimedia equipment. Answers routine and advanced inquiries using standard bibliographic materials and/or computer data systems.
- Assists in planning and implementing age appropriate programming for children including: weekly story time, summer reading, and outreach to schools and daycares.
- Performs basic library tasks: Issues library cards; locates and checks out materials to patrons; and checks in and inspects returned materials for damage. Assists patrons on the phone and in person at all service desks as needed.
- Sorts returned materials according to classification code and need for repair, and returns them to shelves, files, or other designated storage area.
- Assists with collection development by recommending titles to Library Director. May manage a collections within the Children’s Department by selecting, and maintaining appropriate materials while maintaining a set budget.
- Designs and prepares exhibits of library materials.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following: Provide excellent customer service at all library desks. Circulate library books, computers, and materials. Maintain a clean work station. Perform other related duties as assigned. Regular, consistent and timely attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Competencies - Knowledge and keen interest in books and information. Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with patrons. Must be able to hear, comprehend, and respond to library patrons. Must have visual ability to see computer screens. Requires mental alertness, focus, and attention to details. Ability to learn the DEWEY decimal classification system (prior knowledge preferred).
Physical Requirements - Physical requirements may include standing, stooping, bending, twisting, or otherwise moving around the facility to assist patrons. Must be able to comfortably lift 50 pounds.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $10.00 /hour
COVID-19 considerations: To protect our staff and patrons you are required to wear masks when interacting with the public. Masks are also required when not working with the public, but only if you cannot maintain 6 feet from your co-workers.
To apply, please print the application located below in files (or pick up a copy at the library) and send completed job applications to:
Mount Gilead Public Library
41 East High Street
Mount Gilead, Ohio 43338
Or email as PDF to Melissa@mglibrary.org
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and may be kept on file.